[biz-tld-agreement]

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

no to variable pricing

• To: biz-tld-agreement@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: no to variable pricing
  • Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 15:46:31 -0400

<html><div style='background-color:'><DIV>
<DIV>
<P class=subheadline align=left>I am writing to respectfully voice my objections to 
the proposed changes as written.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>I can only assume, despite the timing and lack of 
publicity surrounding these proposals, that the intent behind them is honorable. However, 
the wording of these documents presents a slippery slope that leaves the system open to 
abuse and to pricing practices detrimental to organizations, small businesses and other 
interests lacking unlimited funds in their domain budgets:</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>1) Removal of the price caps could lead to a scenario where 
established organizations and businesses with "desirable" names would be effectively forced 
to relinquish the domains upon which they have build their brand, due to inability to plan for or 
afford the increased renewal fees.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>Small businesses, organizations and individuals stand 
to be the most heavily affected by the increases in domain renewal and registration prices 
which removing the price caps would allow. They are the ones most likely to have their 
websites and livelihoods running on .org, .info or .biz domains.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>2) Removal of the price caps could also set the stage 
for a form of censorship, whereby websites with content or political viewpoints which the 
registry found objectionable could, in theory, be priced out of business.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>3) The provision allowing for "making commercial use of, or 
collecting, traffic data regarding domain names or non-existent domain names" for purposes which include 
"promoting the sale of domain names" is also deeply troubling for the reasons stated above. Will 
traffic data be used to set renewal prices? Non profit organizations frequently have sites which see a good 
amount of traffic yet are run by volunteers and on a tight budget.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>Furthermore, I fail to see any justification as to 
which shortcomings in the current system make these changes necessary.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>I respectfully ask that you reconsider and remove the 
objectionable clauses regarding lifting of price caps, tiered/variable pricing, and the 
collection and commercial use of domain traffic data from these contracts.</P>
<P class=small_para align=left>Sincerely,</P>
<DIV>Michelle Merizzi <BR>mobile-416-550-7600</DIV>
<DIV>website: www.michellemerizzi.com</DIV></DIV></DIV></div></html>

<<< Chronological Index >>>    <<< Thread Index >>>

Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Cookies Policy