ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[board-09georegionswg]

[board-09georegionswg] Concluding Geographic Regions Review WG Effort - Update

  • To: "board-09georegionswg@xxxxxxxxx" <board-09georegionswg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: [board-09georegionswg] Concluding Geographic Regions Review WG Effort - Update
  • From: Robert Hoggarth <robert.hoggarth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2015 23:54:32 +0000

Dear Former and Current Members of the Geographic Regions Review Working
Group,

Greetings to you after a long hiatus.  I am sending you this email because
you are either a current or past member of the Geographic Regions Review
Working Group and the purpose of this note is to inform you of the plans to
finally present the Final Report of the working group to the ICANN Board.

Since Dave Archbold¹s retirement, our working group effort has been paused
and the conclusion of the geographic regions review has been delayed.

You may recall that the last official work Dave completed was to reach out
to the various communities who supported the work of the group and ask for
their feedback.  Dave formally requested feedback from all SO-AC leaders and
specifically reaching out to the ASO, ALAC, ccNSO and GNSO and we received
written feedback from the ALAC, ccNSO and GNSO as late as the beginning of
last year.

Recently Cheryl Langdon-Orr, one of the members, raised her concerns about
the long hiatus. In order to fill the Chair vacancy to carry the effort over
the finish line
Cheryl has graciously volunteered her services to fill that role and we have
begun efforts to complete and submit the working group¹s Final Report to the
ICANN Board with a goal of completing the submission before the ICANN Public
Meeting in Buenos Aires.

Under Cheryl¹s direction, I am reviewing the most recent input from those
communities and am adjusting the Final Report package to include that
community input. I plan to share that updated package with you by the end of
next week and to offer a three-week review window for any comments or
feedback you may have.

It is important to note that I will make no substantive changes to the
working group¹s final recommendations, but will focus my efforts on
packaging the recommendations and the community reactions so that the Board
has a clear understanding of the process to date and the contents of the
document package.  There will be a short transmittal note prepared under
Cheryl¹s signature so that the Board has a community point of contact to
field any questions about the long and productive work of the working group.

Although the work of the working group was subject to workshops at 6 ICANN
public meetings, three lengthy public comment periods and a final
opportunity for SO-AC feedback, the first step of the Board¹s review will
likely be to direct staff to post the document for Public Comment and we
expect the community will be given a generous period of time (at least three
or four months) to further review, react and comment on the recommendations.

Recognizing that the pace of Board and community work matters continues
unabated, there seems to be no perfect ³quiet time² to bring the effort to a
conclusion.  But you have all contributed over the past several years to the
development of extremely useful suggestions and recommendations to the Board
that are still valid and timely and it is time for them to get a final
review by the community and receive consideration by the ICANN Board.

Thank you, in advance, for any final input or advice you can provide on this
effort to complete this work. I look forward to this final collaborative
step with you all!

Best,

Rob Hoggarth