ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[bylaws-amend-chair-comp]

NZ view

  • To: bylaws-amend-chair-comp@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: NZ view
  • From: Vikram Kumar <vikram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 08:58:31 +1200

InternetNZ has previously commented affirming its belief that
remuneration should be offered to all ICANN board members, on a
voluntary basis.

We contend that the existing status of no payment being offered to
board members results in appointment of directors who are either being
paid, as part of their normal work, to be represented on the ICANN
board, or are either independently sufficiently wealthy, or have
sufficient discretionary time, to serve on the board. As a result, our
contention is that the board can not be truly globally representative,
and has some potential to be captured by segments of the ICANN
community who are in the favoured position of being able to serve on
the board with no attached remuneration.

InternetNZ therefore supports the proposed bylaw revision that the
Chair of the ICANN board be entitled to receive compensation for this
role. We will continue to advocate that all board members should also
be entitled to compensation, and we perceive this current bylaw
amendment as a beginning of a process of enablement for all board
members remuneration.

Furthermore our organisation asserts the amount of compensation should
be reasonable, and should continue to reflect a proportion of the
Chairs time that should be considered “voluntary” and a proportion
that should be compensated at comparable commercial rates, and the fee
should be established and reviewed using an open and transparent
process.

Finally, InternetNZ also suggests that the compensation for the
existing chair should be backdated as far back towards the
commencement of his appointment as the ICANN chair as is possible, or
at the very minimum, to the commencement of the current financial
year.

--
Vikram Kumar
Chief Executive, InternetNZ

Web:   www.internetnz.net.nz
Email:  vikram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
DDI:     +64 4 495 2336
Mobile: +64 21 937 211
Address: Level 9, Grand Arcade Tower, 16 Willis Street, Wellington 6011