ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[com-renewal]

.COM Registry Agreement Renewal Comments

  • To: "com-renewal@xxxxxxxxx" <com-renewal@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .COM Registry Agreement Renewal Comments
  • From: Elisa Cooper <Elisa.Cooper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 16:04:19 +0000

MarkMonitor generally supports Verisign's continued operation of the .COM
Registry. However, we urge ICANN to require Verisign to comply with all New
gTLD Requirements including Thick Whois and support for the URS (Uniform Rapid
Suspension). Given that untold hours have been spent by the community over the
past four years in developing the New gTLD Program, we believe that requiring
all Registries to comply with New gTLD Requirements is the only equitable
solution. We also believe that, while not perfect, the requirements set forth
by the New gTLD Program provide better protections than what is currently
required today by gTLD Registries.

In addition, the proposed price increases seem exorbitant, in light of the fact
that no new substantive offerings are being added to the contract. Although,
should Verisign comply with the New gTLD Requirements, MarkMonitor would be
supportive of the price increases.

Finally, MarkMonitor also requests that Verisign consider the release of
single-character registrations, allocated in a manner similar to the process
used by .INFO.

Best,
Elisa

Elisa Cooper