ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[com-renewal]

Open Dot Com contract to competition

  • To: com-renewal@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Open Dot Com contract to competition
  • From: Adam <adam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 18:39:13 -0500

I would like to voice my concern over the propsed renewal of the Dot Com
contract with Verisign.

Firstly, if my memory serves me correct the .com contract was awarded as part
of a settelement to a lawsuit.
I don't believe that a contract of this importance should have ever been used
as any sort of leverage in a settlement.
The .com contract is not ICANN's "possession" to leverage this way. The
multiple stake-holders involved in
ICANN were robbed when this settlement was allowed.

I believe ICANN should follow it's charter to allow for competition and open
the contract up for competitive bidding.
It should also not allow any operator the virtual monopolization of the widely
most used TLD to be rewarded with
perpetual and unneccessary price increases as part of their contract.

Thank you
Adam Strong
www.domainnamenews.com