ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-acdr-proposal-01mar13]

Opposition To The Addition Of New UDRP Providers

  • To: comments-acdr-proposal-01mar13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Opposition To The Addition Of New UDRP Providers
  • From: Morgan Linton <morgan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 10:37:07 -0700

I think that creating more UDRP providers only encourages forum shopping which gives an unfair edge to the UDRP Complainant. It is so important that domain owners are able to defend complaints in a balanced environment and by adding more UDRP provides this continues to shift the leverage towards the Complainant.

We have seen this problem continue to grow as ICANN has accredited more UDRP providers and adding another will only make things worse and encourage forum shopping.

If ICANN cares about making a solid foundation that protects both sides, adding more UDRP providers will work against this goal. At the core of UDRP's is the notion of "bad faith" and with more UDRP providers, more definitions of "bad faith" can be created making more opportunities for domain owners to lose domain names that were not registered in "bad faith" as defined by other UDRP providers.

I am all for global outreach but adding more UDRP providers does nothing more than to create a greater imbalance and diminish the rights of domain owners while empowering UDRP Complainants.

I strongly believe accrediting more UDRP providers is a step in the wrong direction.

Sincerely,

Morgan Linton

President
Linton Investments LLC