ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-anti-harassment-07nov16]

Blacknight Comments on ICANN's Draft Anti-Harassment Policy

  • To: "comments-anti-harassment-07nov16@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-anti-harassment-07nov16@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Blacknight Comments on ICANN's Draft Anti-Harassment Policy
  • From: Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2017 18:37:41 +0000

Dear Sir / Madam

I am submitting these comments in my capacity as CEO and Founder of Blacknight
Internet Solutions Ltd, an ICANN accredited registrar based in Ireland.

I’ve been attending ICANN meetings for the better part of 10 years and one of
the reasons why I and others keep coming back is that, in general, the
“community” is warm and friendly. Any policy that is designed to deal with
issues of harassment should not have a “chilling effect” and be kept as narrow
in scope as possible.

While I have no issue with ICANN having a policy to cover “harassment” and
would welcome it, I would urge that any such policy does not create more
problems than it solves.

As others have noted, the current language is problematic in several areas. For
example, “medical condition” covers all conditions, so calling out specific
ones is not necessary.
Also, as others have noted, ((ALAC, RySG and others)  the key underlining
principle behind this should be that the behaviour is “unwelcome” or “without
consent”. In many cultures it is the norm to hug, kiss and touch in a
non-offensive and non-predatory manner.

The current draft policy might suit some audiences, but would cause issues for
many people from other cultures and I suspect this is not the intention of the
policy.

Regards

Michele

--