ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-armenian-lgr-22jul15]

Comments from ALAC page

  • To: <comments-armenian-lgr-22jul15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comments from ALAC page
  • From: "ISOC AM" <isoc@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Sep 2015 13:36:00 +0500

There are comments on ALAC page that should be in the Forum.

·  Narine <https://community.icann.org/display/%7Enarine.khachatryan>
Khachatryan

The Proposal for Armenian Script Root Zone LGR
(https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/proposal-armenian-script-root-zone-lgr-04jun15-en.pdf)
 is generally reasonable.

Here are two remarks regarding the content of the proposal:

1.      Much of the Armenian Diaspora in the world is concentrated in Russia,
the US and France. Russia can be mentioned in the list of countries where the
Armenian language is widely spoken. According to different estimations, the
Armenian diaspora in Russia is estimated between 2.3 and 2.5 million people,
while the population in Armenia was last recorded at 3 million people in 2014.
2.      The first letter of the Armenian Alphabet, the letter AYB ‘ա’ and the
Cyrillic letter ‘ш’ (SHA) can be considered as cross-script homoglyphs. As a
symbol and term the Armenian AYB (Ա ա) corresponds to the Greek letter Alpha
and is the most frequently used letter of the Armenian language. The letter AYB
(Ա ա) is also used to denote the number 1 in Armenian.

*       Aug 18, 2015
<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=54691955&focusedCommentId=54696319#comment-54696319>

·  User icon: olivier.crepin-leblond

Olivier <https://community.icann.org/display/%7Eolivier.crepin-leblond>
Crepin-Leblond

I think that both of these remarks are factually correct.

1.      WIKIPEDIA indeed indentified Russia as one country with a large
Armenian Diaspora
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_diaspora
(This information is corroborated by figures obtained independently on other
Web sites that I checked)
2.      In my eyes, Armenian letter AYB ‘ա’ and the Cyrillic letter ‘ш’ (SHA)
indeed look like cross-script homoglyphs. It is worth noting that pointing out
cross-script homoglyphs is important due to the possibility of visual
lconfusion not only by users of the script but indeed every Internet user.

I am unaware of any political dimension in pointing out (or not pointing out)
either of these and would suggest that (a) the IDN Working Group discuss this
and reach consensus on this, but also that (b) the ALAC Chair checks with all
parties any political dimension that might evade our knowledge.

*       Aug 25, 2015
<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=54691955&focusedCommentId=56132532#comment-56132532>

---

PNG image