ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-atrt2-02apr13]

Improving Accountability & Transparency - RSEP

  • To: <comments-atrt2-02apr13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Improving Accountability & Transparency - RSEP
  • From: "Chris Chaplow" <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jun 2013 22:20:47 +0200

ATRT2

Improving Accountability & Transparency

Q2. Are there other questions we should be asking consistent with the mandate
of the ATRT?
What are those questions? How would you answer those questions?

I wish to express concern of the Accountability & Transparency of the RSEP
 <http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/rsep>
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/rsep

There is no ICANN member of Staff to oversee the implementation  after a RSEP
request is board approved and the registry contract amended.
This leaves a Registry free to make implementation decisions unilaterally.

The amended registry contracts do not impose any specific reporting requirement
or transparency requirements in relation to the activity or progress of the
RSEP implementation. There is no feedback loop for community to judge future
requests.

There is a  public comment period for RSEP.  This includes publication of the
draft contract amendment.

When the actual  signed contract amendment is later published,  in all/most
cases it is identical to draft.

This suggest that the public comments were ignored.

To give a particular example in one RSEP that I have followed closely as
applicant, I refer ARRT2  to Request 208008  “Phased Equitable Reallocation of
Non-Compliant .INFO Sunrise Domain Names”
<http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/rsep?page=4>
http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registries/rsep?page=4

The public comment that was ignored in the approval and also in the
implementation stated: “One of my concerns with this proposal is that without
there being a certain degree of transparency there is very little to stop the
registry operator from  putting a lot of the names up for auction directly.”
See   <http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-sunrise-amendment/msg00001.html>
http://forum.icann.org/lists/info-sunrise-amendment/msg00001.html

Did ICANN approve the Terms and Conditions of the registry drafted FRP
Application form?

This would have been an opportunity to incorporate this public comment?

See: http://info.info/system/files/INFO_Sunrise_RFP_Application26JAN2010v5.doc

This comment turned out to be insightful since only 85 of 1231 names were
allocated under the Phase 1: Request for Proposals (RFP) phase.

The Registry therefore unilaterally discarded  (250€)   RFP¹s in order to gain
financial advantage by moving into the Phase 2:   Auction phase.

See:  <http://info.info/sunrise-dispute-reallocation>
http://info.info/sunrise-dispute-reallocation   (85) and

http://info.info/system/files/INFO_sunrise_domain_reallocation_names_4NOV2009.txt
 (1231)