ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-atrt2-recommendations-09jan14]

Lack of follow-up to complaints

  • To: comments-atrt2-recommendations-09jan14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Lack of follow-up to complaints
  • From: B Leonard <heymoe666@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2014 12:16:46 -0600

1. As an Internet user you used ICANN procedures to file complaints

Hello:

My name is Brad Leonard and as a frequent Internet email user I notice a
lot of problems with fraudulent domains (bad contact information) on the
unsolicited commercial email (spam) I receive.  Some registrars continue to
allow fraudulent contact information.  I lodged a complaint with ICANN
Compliance with a link to a sample of the bad domains that sent email to
me.

Nothing of substance was done by ICANN Compliance so I contacted the ICANN
Ombusdman.  He seemed to think that since a group of us forwarded our
personal listings of bad domains that had emailed us, that we were somehow
under the control of a single person and therefore our issues could be
dismissed.

My complaint was closed without investigation.  This is not proper
procedure by either ICANN Compliance or the ICANN Ombudsman.  Please
fulfill your mission and start monitoring the registrars so that they
cannot register domains with nonexistent or false registration
information.  Failing that, the registrars must at least suspend such
domains when brought to their attention.

Brad Leonard