ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-base-agreement-29apr13]

NCSG response on RA comments

  • To: comments-base-agreement-29apr13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: NCSG response on RA comments
  • From: Avri Doria <avri@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 07:27:28 -0400

To the ICANN Board and Staff.

Without agreeing with every argument presented, NCSG strongly supports the
argument contained in the Versign comment that the new powers ICANN is granting
itself without a legitimizing Policy Development Process, are the antithesis of
the multi-stakeholder bottom-up organization ICANN tries to sell itself as.
NCSG agrees with Chuck Gomes in that we are also “fundamentally opposed to any
extraordinary amendment process.”  NCSG is fundamentally against any
contravention to GNSO Policy Development Process.  We further express our
agreement with the statement:

The proposed 7.6 language introduced on February 5, 2013, the proposed "Public
Interest Amendment," the proposed "Extraordinary Amendment Process" introduced
on April 1, 2013, and the newly introduced 7.7 language all amount to the same
thing: A unilateral right permitting ICANN to amend provisions in the new gTLD
Registry Agreement.

As a Multistakeholder organization, ICANN Board and Staff should never be able
to make unilateral changes to binding documents, especially when those changes
will give it unilateral powers in perpetuity.

Avri Doria
Alternate Chair NCSG Policy Committee
Submitted on behalf of NCSG