ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-bmw-mini-amendment-11dec14]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

.brand + Country name / code comment

  • To: "comments-bmw-mini-amendment-11dec14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-bmw-mini-amendment-11dec14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .brand + Country name / code comment
  • From: Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:51:07 +0000

Dear Sir / Madam

I am submitting these comments in my capacity as CEO and founder of Blacknight
Internet Solutions Ltd, an ICANN accredited registrar based in Ireland.

BMW has requested that they be allowed to register domains such as Ireland.bmw
Ireland.mini etc.,

As they've pointed out, such names are freely available to register in both
"legacy" gTLDs and many ccTLDs.
 From a marketing and branding perspective it seems logical to me that a brand
would want to use $country.TLD and that placing a restriction on such usage is
pointless. The TLD is being used solely by the brand. There is no confusion -
in fact I'd imagine that this kind of usage will in fact reduce confusion if
brands like them start actively using their TLDs in their global marketing.

I would, therefore, encourage ICANN to approve this request

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon
Blacknight Solutions

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>