ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-bwg-nomcom-21aug14]

Public Comment Invited: Board Working Group Report on Nominating Committee (BWG-NomCom)

  • To: comments-bwg-nomcom-21aug14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Public Comment Invited: Board Working Group Report on Nominating Committee (BWG-NomCom)
  • From: Christopher Wilkinson <cw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 21:09:36 +0200

Good evening:

1.      I agree to the rebalancing of the composition of the Nominating
Committee. NomCom was originally constituted in order to offset, in the
composition of the Board, the influence of the contracted stake-holders, and to
enhance the representation of user interests. From that point of view it has
always appeared anomalous that GNSO should hold the largest number of seats (7).

2.      Since the GAC has been historically reluctant to fill their NomCom
seat, it would be tactful to ensure that the proposed increase in the number of
GAC seats would effectively be filled.

3.      I do not agree with the constitution of 'delegations' within the NomCom
and the allocation of votes by delegation. That would lead to behind the scenes
horse trading and a loss of influence of the Chair and other members of the
NomCom. Not a good idea. (Mathieu Weill has already commented on this aspect in
greater detail, with which I broadly agree.)

4.      In order to be able to correct the geographical and gender balance of
the Board, the NomCom needs to be able to appoint a larger number of Board
members, each year.

Regards

Christopher Wilkinson