ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-bwg-nomcom-21aug14]

Commentsof the IPC on the Report of the ICANN Board Working Group on the Nominating Committee (the BWG-NomCom)

  • To: "comments-bwg-nomcom-21aug14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-bwg-nomcom-21aug14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Commentsof the IPC on the Report of the ICANN Board Working Group on the Nominating Committee (the BWG-NomCom)
  • From: John McElwaine <john.mcelwaine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2014 22:21:16 +0000

The Intellectual Property Constituency (IPC) welcomes this opportunity to
provide its comments on the Report of the ICANN Board Working Group on the
Nominating Committee (the BWG-NomCom).  The IPC also appreciates the efforts of
the BWG-NomCom to solicit feedback on its Report since its publication,
including the formal and informal consultation sessions held at ICANN 51 in Los
Angeles.

The IPC endorses a number of recommendations of the BWG-NomCom Report.  These
include:

*         Recommendation 6, to downsize the number of the NomCom leadership
positions;

*         Recommendation 7, to allow all members of the NomCom (excluding the
two leadership positions) to vote for candidates;

*         Recommendation 10, to clarify qualifications for NomCom leadership
and improve the process of recruitment;

*         Recommendation 11, to provide a two-year term for the NomCom Chair;
however, for purposes of continuity, IPC recommends that a Chair be allowed to
serve two two-year terms;

*         Recommendation 13, to provide for review of the performance of the
NomCom Chair;

*         Recommendation 14, regarding removal of the Chair;

*         Recommendation 15, to continue NomCom appointments to entities other
than the Board.

However, the IPC is strongly opposed to Recommendations 1, 2, 5 and 8.  These
Recommendations would radically transform the membership and decision-making
processes of the NomCom.  The IPC does not believe that such drastic
restructuring is justified; we believe that, on the whole, the NomCom has
performed its functions well.  Moreover, the sweeping changes proposed by the
BWG NomCom would be counterproductive.  If adopted, they would make the NomCom
operations more cumbersome, less accountable, and less capable of fulfilling
its mission.

The IPC is especially concerned with the proposal to drastically reduce (from 7
to 4, by over 43%) the number of NomCom members chosen by entities within the
Generic Names Supporting Organization, and to abolish IPC's authority to choose
a NomCom member, replacing it with a system in which a single member would be
appointed by the Business, Internet Service Providers and Intellectual Property
constituencies.  In a number of recent submissions, the IPC has expressed its
view that the Commercial Stakeholder Group structure imposed upon it and the
other two constituencies in the GNSO restructuring several years ago-which
fails to account for the diversity of interests represented in these
constituencies--has had significant detrimental impact on the participation of
IPC members within ICANN and on our ability to recruit new and diverse members
to participate because intellectual property interests are increasingly
consigned to a marginal role.  These concerns are especially acute with regard
to the IPC representation on the NomCom.  Under the BWG-NomCom plan, and
assuming a system of rotating representation among the three constituencies
involved, the IPC would only be able to choose a NomCom member once every six
years, instead of every year as is now the case.  The IPC believes that to
reduce so severely the opportunity of intellectual property interests to
participate in the selection of most of the ICANN board, and other key
leadership positions within the organization, cannot be justified by the
abstract desire to align the NomCom's structure with that of the Supporting
Organizations and Advisory Committees.

We believe that IPC representatives to the NomCom, as well as those of other
constituencies representing the non-contracted business sector stakeholders in
the Domain Name System, have contributed positively to the work of the NomCom
and to the enhancement of ICANN leadership over the past decade.  The
BWG-NomCom's recommendation is generally interpreted by the affected
stakeholders as deriving from the opposite conclusion:  that our contributions
have been counter-productive and should be diminished substantially.  While we
know this was not the BWG-NomCom's intent, this is the message that has been
communicated.
Similarly, while we are not opposed in principle to additional NomCom
participation from representatives of the ccNSO and ASO, the proposal to
quintuple the representation of these entities, at a time when it is proposed
to reduce the participation of GNSO entities by 43%, is not justified.  While
it might achieve the abstract goal of bringing greater parity to the different
entities appearing on the ICANN organogram, it overlooks the fact that the
substantive work of the Board is disproportionately directed to issues
primarily of concern to the generic names space.  Furthermore, the proposed
composition of the NomCom will result in a pool of appointees that run counter
to direction that the ICANN Board has given the NomCom, which has indicated
that the Board already has strong technical expertise in the areas these
entities would provide:

"With respect to specific skill sets in the current Board, there is strong
experience in the operation of gTLD registries and registrars, with ccTLD
registries, with IP address registries, with Internet technical standards and
protocols, with ICANN policy-development procedures, legal traditions, and the
public interest."  Advice from the ICANN Board on Board Skills to the
Nominating Committee, dated 5 February 2014.

Nor does the proposal serve the interests of increasing diversity on the
NomCom, in practical terms.  Both ccNSO and ASO are organized on a geographical
basis, but both are much more homogeneous than the GNSO in terms of the
diversity of interests represented.  The result would be a less diverse pool of
appointees that happen to live around the globe.  It is the fully diverse
nature of the GNSO - representing businesses, Internet users, civil society,
and registries and registrars and their customers - that will find, vet and
select the best crop of Board candidates that can lead ICANN in the future.  We
would add from our own constituency perspective that the prospect of a NomCom
functioning for years on end without any participation from representatives of
intellectual property interests suggests that our viewpoint is not considered
necessary to achieve material diversity, even though decisions made by ICANN
have an enormous impact on the intellectual property system worldwide.   We
urge the BWG-NomCom to reconsider this position.

The IPC recommends that the BWG-NomCom educate and encourage the various
appointing organizations to select geographically diverse candidates.  There
should not, however, be a quota system geographic representation for the
NomCom.  Geographic diversity is already hardwired into the appointment
criteria in the ICANN Bylaws.
The BWG-NomCom rationale related to the scalability of the NomCom to allow for
new constituencies is not persuasive.  Only one constituency has been formed
since the GNSO was established more than a decade ago.  Nor are any proposals
to establish new constituencies pending, to our knowledge.  The IPC joins the
Business Constituency in supporting adding a seat on the NomCom for that
constituency (the NPOC).    However, we do not see the scalability of the
NomCom because of speculation about proliferation of new constituencies to be a
realistic concern.

We also strongly oppose the BWG-NomCom recommendations to organize the NomCom
into delegations and to require all voting to be on a delegation basis. This
moves in exactly the wrong direction, making NomCom operations more rigid and
unwieldy, encouraging NomCom representatives to work in silos and discouraging
the cross-stakeholder fertilization that is one of the strengths of the current
system.

As a practical matter, the delegation concept is unworkable as only one vote is
taken by the NomCom, which is to select the final slate of candidates.
Requiring voting by delegation would unduly complicate a system that is working
well.  To this point, recent NomCom members have reported that "horse-trading"
is not a concern.  If that label is applied to efforts to produce a compromise
slate of candidates that can achieve strong support across the full spectrum of
NomCom participants, then perhaps we need more "horse-trading," not less.

Moreover, the BWG-NomCom proposal does not address the very real likelihood of
disagreements or deadlocks in the constituencies.  How do 4 members of the GNSO
delegation split 3 votes if they do not agree on candidate?   Simply put the
delegation voting block concept is unnecessary, non-transparent and a solution
in search of a problem.  It should be eliminated from the BWG-NomCom proposal.

The IPC also does not support Recommendation 12, to eliminate the position of
Chair-Elect. The key to any good organization is continuity.  The position of
Chair-Elect allows that person to learn the skills, values and culture of the
NomCom.  The IPC supports the concept that the Chair-Elect should be
re-affirmed, but this uncertainty does not outweigh the benefits of succession
planning and leadership training.

Finally, with regard to Recommendation 9, IPC supports the move from 1-year to
2-year terms, but believes members should be allowed to serve consecutive
terms. (Of course, the IPC would oppose any extension of terms, or any
relaxation of term limits, if Recommendation 2 were adopted and we were
deprived of our ability to choose a NomCom member to represent our
constituency, or allowed to do so only on a rotating basis.)  The IPC strongly
supports the staggering of terms to ensure continuity.  We do not support the
concept that the members of the NomCom should be able to remove a member
without cause, and suggest that the voting threshold for removal needs to be a
higher percentage than a two-thirds vote.  Such a threat may chill speech and
the sharing of unpopular opinions.

Thank you for your consideration of these IPC comments.  If the IPC can be of
any further assistance to the BWG-NomCom, please do not hesitate to contact the
undersigned or any officer of the IPC.

Best regards,

s/John C. McElwaine

Confidentiality Notice

This message is intended exclusively for the individual or entity to which it
is addressed. This communication may contain information that is proprietary,
privileged, confidential or otherwise legally exempt from disclosure.

If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print,
retain, copy or disseminate this message or any part of it. If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately either by
phone (800-237-2000) or reply to this e-mail and delete all copies of this
message.