ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-bylaws-amend-gac-advice-15aug14]

Internet control

  • To: comments-bylaws-amend-gac-advice-15aug14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Internet control
  • From: Dennis Hammerl <docotis@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 23:13:11 -0400

I know the comment period is over for this issue but I'd like to go on record as being opposed to surrendering any control of the internet to any foreign country who does not have nor respects freedom of speech. In U.S. hands, the whole world benefited from our concepts of individual freedom. We hold these rights to be central to all. Relinquishing these precious rights to a nation or nations having little regard for individual liberty will make everyone the worse. We need to retain this position in order to share our freedoms with the world at large. Let the free exchange of information be our gift to oppressed peoples everywhere. China restricts the internet now. They should not be allowed to restrict it globally. Totalitarian countries would relish the chance to control the flow of ideas. This must not come to pass.
Thank you,
Dennis L Hammerl