ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15]

Comment from the Just Net Coalition

  • To: <comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment from the Just Net Coalition
  • From: "Richard Hill" <rhill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Aug 2015 14:00:11 +0200

This comment is submitted on behalf of the Just Net Coalition (JNC) which
comprises several dozen civil society organizations and individuals from
different regions globally, concerned with issues of Internet governance,
from the perspective of all human rights, including democracy and economic
and social justice. The JNC web site is at: http://justnetcoalition.org

We refer to the CCWG-Accountability proposal published at:

https://www.icann.org/en/system/files/files/ccwg-draft-2-proposal-work-strea
m-1-recs-03aug15-en.pdf

That CCWG-Accountability proposal does NOT enhance ICANN's accountability.
On the contrary, it hands effective control of ICANN to the domain name and
address industry, a narrow segment of the global multistakeholder community.

As we have previously stated, ICANN must become a true membership
organization, not a fake one in which there is only one member and that
member is controlled by the very industry that ICANN is supposed to
regulate. Further, ICANN must not remain subject to US jurisdiction.

We refer to our proposal, at:

  http://forum.icann.org/lists/icg-forum/pdfXXrCnTxCwW.pdf

In addition, we associate with the comments at:

http://forum.icann.org/lists/comments-ccwg-accountability-draft-proposal-04m
ay15/msg00000.html

Those comments apply a fortiori to the latest CCWG-Accountability proposal.

Richard Hill on behalf of the Just Net Coalition