ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15]

Comment on second draft CCWG proposal

  • To: Comments-ccwg-accountability 03aug15 <comments-ccwg-accountability-03aug15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on second draft CCWG proposal
  • From: Lee Andrew Bygrave <l.a.bygrave@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2015 01:27:59 +0200

As I have stated previously, I support the thrust of the second draft CCWG proposal and find it to be a significant improvement on the first draft. I commend the CCWG for the tremendous progress it has made so far.

I do have, however, serious concerns in respect of some of the "mechanics" of the Single Member Community Mechanism. One concern is the paucity of detail as to precisely how the voting procedures will work and how, if at all, the Community Forum proposed by Willie Currie (a proposal that I support) might function within or attendant to the SMCM. Another (more important) concern is the potential that the current division of powers of ACS and SOs becomes unduly skewed under the proposed voting-rights scheme. More work needs to go into elaborating -- and explaining -- the allocations of voting rights, especially in respect of the ACs. In particular, I am sceptical of allocating voting rights to the GAC. Such an allocation risks upsetting the delicately balanced arrangements that currently manage the exercise of governments' influence over ICANN and associated stakeholders.

Lee A. Bygrave
An Advisor to the CCWG Accountability