ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

"Closed Generic" gTLD Applications

  • To: <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: "Closed Generic" gTLD Applications
  • From: "Consult" <Consult@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2013 13:57:01 -0800

To whom it may concern:

SIAC has reported the following regarding "closed generic" domains.

"Three companies have applied to ICANN to operate ".security". Symantec
is one of those companies and has requested to operate this new domain
as a closed domain. This means the domain will be operated by a
participant exclusively for its own benefit.
If a customer were to search for "security" via a web-based search
engine, the results would only include those ".security" domains that
relate to Symantec products and services. Security and alarm companies
would not appear, thus eliminating this important marketing channel and
allowing the domain to be administered by a company with little to no
interest in addressing the needs of the residential and commercial
security and alarm industry."

This would not be beneficial to our alarm industry.  Closed generic
domains would greatly reduce the choices for the consumer and reduce
growth in the industry.

We do believe it is important to keep these domain names open for full
industry participation.

If you have any questions for me, I can be reached at the numbers/email
listed.

Michael A. Miller

President

Securing the future!

We save lives and protect assets. We uphold

the highest level of industry standards with

integrity, honesty, ongoing employee

training and unmatched customer service.

We lead the way in providing peace of

mind with innovative life safety and security

solutions to our community.

Moon Security Services, Inc.

PO Drawer B

Pasco, WA 99302