ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-closed-generic-05feb13]

.cloud TLD

  • To: "comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-closed-generic-05feb13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .cloud TLD
  • From: Andrew Buss <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2013 18:46:19 +0000

To whom this concerns,

I'm writing as an independent industry analyst covering the computing and
communications industries. I wish to register my comments opposing the
allocation of generic TLDs such as .cloud and .security to individual
companies. This risks defeating the objective of these TLDs – to uniquely
identify a company through a single registration, not to grant them an
effective and sanctioned monopoly on a term that is already in broad usage.
Given the potential rights on offer, the allocation of TLDs should ideally
follow the same type of process and rigour that registered trademarks have to
pass in order to be granted. If this is not done, it risks granting de-facto
monopolies to companies with the most money and providing an anti-competitive
platform in what should be an open and free system.

Regards

Andrew Buss

Service Director

Freeform Dynamics