ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ctn-release-tlds-12jan17]

Release of Country and Territory Names within the .IKANO, .SAXO, .SCOR, .SANDVIK, .WALTER, .SANDVIKCOROMANT, .VISTA, .VISTAPRINT, .BARCLAYS, .BARCLAYCARD and .HERMES TLDs

  • To: "comments-ctn-release-tlds-12jan17@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ctn-release-tlds-12jan17@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Release of Country and Territory Names within the .IKANO, .SAXO, .SCOR, .SANDVIK, .WALTER, .SANDVIKCOROMANT, .VISTA, .VISTAPRINT, .BARCLAYS, .BARCLAYCARD and .HERMES TLDs
  • From: "Ser Pheng QUEH (IMDA)" <QUEH_Ser_Pheng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 02:38:21 +0000

Dear ICANN,

We hereby respectfully submit our comment regarding the release of country and
territory names currently reserved under Section 4 of Specification 5 of the
Registry Agreement.  Our comment is submitted for the RSEP requests listed in
the table below.

No.

Proposal No.

New gTLD

1

2016039

.ikano

2

2016042

.saxo

3

2016043

.scor

4

2016044

.sandvik

5

2016045

.walter

6

2016046

.sandvikcoromant

7

2016047

.vista

8

2016048

.vistaprint

9

2016049

.barclays

10

2016050

.barclaycard

11

2016051

.hermes

At this stage, we are unable to agree to the release of "singapore" at the
second-level under gTLDs because of the concern that such use would create
public confusion.  Until further notice, this policy is to be applied to all
gTLDs who have submitted RSEP requests for the release of country and territory
names.

To elaborate further, we are open to considering the release of "singapore" to
registry operators who have a robust framework in place to address concerns of
government.  We recognise there are legitimate and valid reasons for such use.
However, we are of the view that it is prudent for ICANN to first put in place
a holistic and robust framework, much like how it was done for the release of
2-character country-codes, before approvals can be given.  More thoughts need
to be given to the evaluation process and in particular the remedies available
should a registry operator use the approved names in an undesirable manner.
Besides possible public confusion, we are also concerned with:

(a) The possible reputational harm if "singapore.gTLD"  is associated with
illegal or objectionable content and/or manner-of-use; and

(b) The direct harm if ".singapore.gTLD" content or manner-of-use targets
Singapore as a nation or Singapore entities (e.g., websites could masquerade as
Singapore Government agencies).

The ICANN framework for the release of country and territory names should
include:

(a) A recourse for the government/country code manager to issue a notice to
object to the content and/or manner-of-use that is misleading, questionable,
objectionable or contrary to the country's reputation and laws. There should be
an effective and robust process acceptable by the government/country code
manager for the registry operator to address the concern; and

(b) Provisions to require the registry operator to re-seek approval from
government/country code manager should there be material changes in ownership
or organisational control (for example merger with or acquisitions by another
entity).
Thank you.

Regards,

QUEH Ser Pheng
Deputy Director, Internet Resource Management, Connectivity and Competition
Development Group
D (+65) 6211 0173 | E
queh_ser_pheng@xxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:queh_ser_pheng@xxxxxxxxxxx> | W:
www.imda.gov.sg<http://www.imda.gov.sg/>
10 Pasir Panjang Road, #10-01, Mapletree Business City, Singapore 117438

[cid:168A4D79-8FB8-4AE1-830E-6A14C0D214E5][cid:FD1BD0D7-DA8E-48EE-A07A-CC9D858EC8DA]<https://www.facebook.com/IMDAsg/>[cid:F4E3BC34-4F29-49B8-92AF-94B819B226B8]<https://twitter.com/imdasg>[cid:C974B3D0-9AE3-4418-BDEC-6A9F6305C5B1]<https://www.youtube.com/IMDAsg>[cid:C491523B-6440-4B06-B19A-6D52A5D29BDC]<https://www.imda.gov.sg/forms/subscribe>[cid:F7072DA0-AD82-4E11-AE94-D3CD94C8EF4A]
NOTICE: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential or
legally privileged information. Any unauthorised use, retention, reproduction
or disclosure is prohibited and may attract civil and criminal penalties. If
this e-mail has been sent to you in error, please delete it and notify us
immediately. Please consider the environment before you print this email.

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image