ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-data-metrics-29jul15]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>

stakeholders and impact

  • To: "comments-data-metrics-29jul15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-data-metrics-29jul15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: stakeholders and impact
  • From: <m_botterman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2015 07:41:04 +0000

Dear WG

Fully support the needs and overall aims of the work. Just noting that data as
such are important to be able to do fact based policy development, and that it
is crucial to define which data you need.

Next to “specific purpose” (i.e. what is the issue at hand) I also see strong
merit in “approach” (i.e. how are we going about to make sure the policy making
process is well informed). I have not yet understood how the WG sees this.

From my experience with methodological approaches (during my work for RAND Corp
and GNKS) towards facts based policy development I can warmly recommend to
consider the ex ante impact study framework that several public interest
organisations around the world adopted as part of their better regulation
planning, such as UNDP and the European Commission.

Whereas ICANN is *not* a government type of organization, it is an organization
that aims to work in the public interest, and it has committed itself to
“better policy making” as an ongoing process. Hence lessons can be learned from
best practice frameworks such as the two mentioned above.

What does this mean for data metrics?

The approach (ex ante impact assessment) determines certain systematic steps to
be taken to ensure a fully informed decision can be taken. This includes
systematic collection of data for specific purposes in the steps.  In
particular, a systematic collection of data that help determine to define <1>
the impact on different stakeholdergroups and <2> the impact of specific future
developments that are highly relevant yet not within the “control” of ICANN,
would, in my humble opinion, help develop to enhance ICANNs ability to get to
facts based policy decisions.

Happy to further expand on this when useful.

best regards

Maarten Botterman

Chairman of the Public Interest Registry

writing in my personal capacity

Sent from Windows Mail

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index >>>