ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-data-metrics-29jul15]

ISPCP Comments on Initial Report on Data & Metrics for Policy Making

  • To: comments-data-metrics-29jul15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ISPCP Comments on Initial Report on Data & Metrics for Policy Making
  • From: Christian Dawson <dawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Sep 2015 08:32:33 -0400

ISPCP Comments on Initial Report on Data & Metrics for Policy Making

The Internet Service Provider and Connectivity Provider Constituency (ISPCP)
respectfully submits the following supporting comments on the Initial Report on
Data & Metrics for Policy Making.

The Internet Service Providers and Connectivity Providers operate Internet
backbone networks and/or provide access to Internet and related services to End
Users.  We are key players on the Internet, and have an essential role in its
stability and development.  The Internet Service Providers and Connectivity
Providers Constituency seeks to strongly support the efforts and work product
contained within the Initial Report on Data & Metrics for Policy Making.

We believe that this particular issue is vitally important to the future of
ICANN, to determining accountability and to encourage responsible decision
making. We support a process to better inform fact-based policy development and
decision making through the sharing of metrics and data.
The ISPCP enthusiastically supports the initiation of a pilot effort whereby
the GNSO community at the early stages of the policy process can submit
tactical sized requests for data and metrics to assist in validation of issues
or to better inform policy deliberations. We would see value in that pilot and
be happy to engage in it and provide actionable feedback to it.

The ISPCP supports the creation of WG work product templates including updates
to the GNSO’s Operating Procedures and Working Group Guidelines (WGG), as well
as an update to the Charter template to assist drafting teams in determining
key metrics to be used to meet the goals of resolving issues.

The ISPCP constituency will continue to comment in the subsequent dialogue
phases.

On behalf of the ISPCP constituency:

Christian Dawson