ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-dns-underserved-14may14]

dotShabaka Registry Public Comment – Report on Supporting the Domain Name Industry in Underserved Regions

  • To: "comments-dns-underserved-14may14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-dns-underserved-14may14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: dotShabaka Registry Public Comment – Report on Supporting the Domain Name Industry in Underserved Regions
  • From: "Yasmin Omer (DotShabaka)" <yasmin.omer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 04:41:32 +0000

dotShabaka Registry Public Comment – Report on Supporting the Domain Name
Industry in Underserved Regions

dotShabaka Registry is the Registry Operator for an Arabic new generic Top
Level Domain (TLD) -  شبكة. The شبكة. TLD was launched in October 2013 and is
targeted at speakers of the Arabic language. Our efforts to promote and market
the شبكة. TLD are therefore primarily applied in regions with a high density of
Arabic language speakers. Unfortunately, the domain name industry in these
regions is far from robust which at times compromises our efforts. dotShabaka
Registry therefore welcomes and encourages ICANN’s exploration of ideas and
strategies to help promote the domain name industry in regions identified by
ICANN as being underserved.

dotShabaka Registry thank ICANN for the opportunity to comment on the report
subject of this public forum. It is our contention that the report demonstrates
the absence of a holistic approach being taken to develop a robust domain name
industry in these regions.

The challenges and issues identified in the report are symptoms, and not
causes, of an underdeveloped domain name industry. The proposed solutions may
alleviate these symptoms but will fail to address the root causes of an
underdeveloped domain name industry. Research must be conducted at the outset
to identify and address the root causes. This research should at the very least:

•                     Identify qualities (and their associated statistics) of a
robust domain name industry e.g. over 80% Internet penetration.

•                     Define the eligibility criteria for an ‘underserved
region’ based on the qualities of a robust domain name industry e.g. less than
40% Internet penetration.

•                     Identify ‘underserved regions’.

•                     Analyse in detail the differences between the domain name
industry in the underserved region and a robust domain name industry by
reference to the profile of the Registry Operator, registrar, registrant and
Internet user.

•                     Identify proven measures aimed at addressing the
deficiencies of the domain name industry in the ‘underserved region’. A
holistic approach should be taken in this regard that is not limited to
measures within ICANN’s perceived purview.

•                     Implement measures aimed at addressing these deficiencies
e.g. poor consumer awareness may be addressed by a Domain Name Industry
Roadshow in ‘underserved regions’.
We note that the report focuses on registrar issues and places great emphasis
on increasing the number of registrars in these regions as the primary
mechanism to develop a robust domain name industry. We believe this focus is
misplaced. This focus is based on the ill-conceived notion that increasing the
supply of domain names is the panacea for the challenges faced by the domain
name industry in these regions. It is not.

Measures to increase the supply of domain names will be met with futility where
the demand is lacking. Our first-hand experience in these regions indicates
that one of the root causes of an underdeveloped domain name industry is a
deficiency in the demand for domain names. We need to identify why the demand
is lacking. We need to implement measures to increase demand at which point, as
dictated by the basic principles of economics, supply will increase as a matter
of course.

Once the demand is increased, registrars will be presented with the incentive
necessary to overcome the challenges identified in the report. It is at that
point that it would be appropriate to implement measures, if required, to
address the supply of domain names as proposed in this report.

Implementation of the proposed solutions aimed at increasing the supply of
domain names now is premature and will see the establishment of registrars who
cannot support their own operations due to a lack of demand for domain names in
these regions. We recognise that increasing the number of registrars in these
regions may be an attractive way of measuring achievements and setting Key
Performance Indicators (KPIs) for ICANN staff but emphasise that this is an
exercise fraught with futility. Our first-hand experience demonstrates that
registrars will not create demand. They will meet established demand. Absent
the adoption of measures to address the deficiency in demand for domain names,
these registrars will effectively be set up to fail. Such an approach is not
sustainable and will add further instability to the domain name industries in
these regions.

Finally, care must be taken not to undermine established policies that have
come about via a bottom up multi-stakeholder process by adopting a non-uniform
approach to the application of these policies. These policies are in most part
informed by a need to protect the security, stability and resiliency of the DNS.

dotShabaka Registry emphasizes the need to address the root causes and not the
symptoms of an underdeveloped domain name industry. We look forward to working
with ICANN to address these causes and anticipate that doing so will be
conducive to the achievement of our mission which is to build an Arabic
Internet.

Yasmin Omer
General Manager
dotShabaka Registry