ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15]

JPNIC Response to the third version of Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations by CCWG

  • To: comments-draft-ccwg-accountability-proposal-30nov15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: JPNIC Response to the third version of Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1 Recommendations by CCWG
  • From: ingov-query@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 18:22:39 +0900 (JST)

JPNIC Response to the third version of Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1
Recommendations by CCWG

We would like to thank the CCWG for its tremendous efforts in
developing the third version of the Draft Proposal on Work Stream 1
Recommendations, balancing inputs from various stakeholders.

As we have expressed in the first and second versions of the proposal,
JPNIC believes in the following general principles as priorities in
considering ICANN Accountability, including its implementation.

* Accountability proposal should ensures open, bottom-up and community
  based decision making process in names related policy development.

* Maintain the stability of ICANN as an organization operating the
  management of the critical internet resources and policy development
  forum for names related policies.

  We should be careful of over considering accountability measures
  which could lead to destabilizing the organization.

  Further, overly complex system often leads to instability, with
  unintended affect which makes it harder to be identified when making
  changes.

* Accountability mechanism should be simple, to be comprehensible to
  be used and pragmatically adoptable in reasonable time-frame.

* Accountability proposal and implementation should not be a delaying
  factor in the IANA Stewardship Transition

Based on these principles, JPNIC supports the third version of the
proposal on WS1 recommendations.

 - The Single Designator Model sufficiently addresses the principles
   described above. We defer to the consensus in the CCWG and the
   wider community on the required legal status and a model of the
   community mechanism.

 - We welcome clarification made in the third version of the proposal
   on a binding IRP, as well as details of the community process which
   sufficiently accommodates community discussions.

 - On the mission statement, we support the position expressed by the
   NRO that the ICANN Mission Statement must be factually accurate,
   and therefore recommend that the CCWG does address any material
   inaccuracies in a timely manner.

Best Regards,

Shigeki Goto
President
Japan Network Information Center (JPNIC)