ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-idn-guidelines-03mar17]

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index

Not authoritative IDN labels inside a zone

  • To: comments-idn-guidelines-03mar17@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Not authoritative IDN labels inside a zone
  • From: Hugo Salgado-Hernández <hsalgado@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2017 15:50:14 -0300

Dear IDNG WG.
I've read the "Guidelines for the Implementation of Internationalized
Domain Names - Final Draft for the Public Comment – 3 March 2017"
document, and have a comment.

I've always missed a clarification regarding the use of IDN labels
inside a TLD zone for records that are not-authoritative, like
NS names and glue records. A TLD can pose rules and restrictions
for labels in the second (or third) level, but not downside and
"sibling-side". So my TLD can restrict a certain unicode point for
registration purposes, but it could exist inside the TLD zone
as an NS name in a level below the TLD as a glue record, and can
exist at another TLD as a delegation, over which we don't have any
jurisdiction.

As an example, if I'm the registry of ".example" TLD and we don't
allow "U+00E1  LATIN SMALL LETTER A WITH ACUTE", we can't
prohibit a record like:
  allowed.example.    IN NS á.allowed.example
  á.allowed.example.  IN A  192.0.2.1

and certainly we can't prohibit a delegation to other TLD:
  allowed.example.    IN NS á.cl

I know this is common sense, but I've found people implementing
IDN with this kind of doubts.

I'll be very careful to clarify that "labels inside a zone" should
meant "labels of authoritative names inside a zone". And maybe
add a new guideline of the sort:

"a TLD can't restrict the codepoints of names inside its zone for
which it's not authoritative (such as delegations to sibling zones
or glue records names), but should check such labels are syntactically
valid U-labels (in RFC7940 sense)".

Best regards,

Hugo Salgado
NIC Chile - .CL

<<< Chronological Index >>>        Thread Index