ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13]

IGO-INGO Identifier Protection recommendations adopted by the GNSO Council inadequate

  • To: comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: IGO-INGO Identifier Protection recommendations adopted by the GNSO Council inadequate
  • From: Luz.Becker@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 10:52:39 +0100

The European Space Agency ESA supports the comment by the
United Nations and other IGOs,  that the recent IGO-INGO Identifier
Protection recommendations
adopted by the GNSO Council are inadequate to protect the names and
acronyms of
intergovernmental organizations.

Indeed the Accronym ESA is visible on our satellites and launchers and
more known than our full name. Given its shortness our Accronym is much
more likely to be subject to cybersquatting and its use in domain names by
third parties would lead to confusion. Therefore the Accronyms of IGOs
should enjoy the same protection as the full names of IGOs.

In times of limited budgets and financial constraints of our Members
States, ESA would have difficulties to go along the tedious and costly
process of defending its Accronym in gTLDs as currently foreseen.

It is incomprehensible that ICANN should fall behind the protection the
Paris Convention for the Protection of Industrial Property is granting to
IGOs in the case of trademarks. Should only the fittest and the one with
the largest budget prevail in the competition around gTLDs?

Best regards

ESA - European Space Agency

Dr. Luz Becker
Intellectual Property, European Patent Attorney
Legal Department

Headquarters
8-10 rue Mario Nikis
75738 Paris Cedex 15, France
luz.becker@xxxxxxx | www.esa.int

This message and any attachments are intended for the use of the addressee or
addressees only. The unauthorised disclosure, use, dissemination or copying
(either in whole or in part) of its content is not permitted. If you received
this message in error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system.