ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13]

COMMENTS FROM UNAIDS ON GNO'S RECOMMENDATIONS ON IGO-INGO IDENTIFIER PROTECTIONS

  • To: "comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: COMMENTS FROM UNAIDS ON GNO'S RECOMMENDATIONS ON IGO-INGO IDENTIFIER PROTECTIONS
  • From: "Kranawetter, Sigrid" <KranawetterS@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 11:22:50 +0000

Dear Ms Wong,

On behalf of the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS), please
take note of the following comments.

UNAIDS would like to echo the comments posted by the United Nations Office of
Legal Affairs on 12 December 2013 and further comments posted by INTERPOL on 17
December 2013 and, respe3ctively, by OECD and by WHO on 18 December 2013.

The IGO-INGO Identifier Protection recommendations adopted by the GNSO Council
on 27 November 2013 are of great concern to UNAIDS, in particular the
recommendation to  refuse protections for IGO acronyms in the Domain Name
System (DNS). Therefore, UNAIDS shares the concerns and  views of the many
other inter-governmental organizations that have expressed similar concerns on
this important issue.

IGOs have indicated on many occasions that our intention is not to prevent in
absolute terms good faith use of our acronyms in the DNS by third parties.
Rather, IGOs are looking for solutions to pre-empt third-party abuse of our
acronyms to prevent user confusion and the resulting loss of confidence in both
IGOs and the DNS. UNAIDS believes that at the second level, reasonable
co-existence principles and a simple and cost-neutral process could be devised
and the PDP could have explored such mechanisms, so a blanket refusal to
protect IGO acronyms was not warranted. Lack of protection of our names and
acronyms exposes our activities to risk and, ultimately, damages our
organizations' effectiveness. In addition, we believe that IGOs considerations
have been ignored throughout this process and that there is currently certainly
no consensus on the matter.

We would like to recall one of the "core values" ICANN Board of Director's Code
of Conduct: "7.  Employing open and transparent policy development mechanisms
that (i) promote well-informed decisions based on expert advice, and (ii)
ensure that those entities most affected can assist in the policy development
process."

It is important to recall that ICANN's founding documents require ICANN to
carry out its activities in conformity with relevant principles of
international law and applicable international conventions, to cooperate with
relevant IGOs and to duly take into account governments' and public
authorities' recommendations, recognizing that public authorities are
responsible for public policy.

The GAC repeatedly advised that IGOs, as entities created by governments under
public international law, are in an objectively different category to other
rights holders and that there is a prevailing global public interest to provide
special preventative protections for IGO names and acronyms at both the top and
second levels.

UNAIDS therefore urges ICANN to adopt a policy that will protect IGOs in the
same manner afforded to the RCRC and the IOC; namely, the placement of their
names and acronyms in the Applicant Guidebook section 2.2.1.2.3, Strings;
Ineligible for Delegation; for both top level and second level domain names.
Surely, it is logical to treat IGOs at least on a par with these other
organizations.

Sincerely yours,
Sigrid Kranawetter

Sigrid Kranawetter | Senior Legal Adviser | Governance and Multilateral Affairs
| UNAIDS
20 Avenue Appia | CH-1211 Geneva 27 | phone: +41 22 7912614 | skype:
UNAIDS.kranawetterS
UNAIDS Uniting the world against AIDS
"Stand by the strengths of your soul."
________________
Confidentiality notice: The information contained in this e-mail and its
attachments is only for use of the intended recipients, and may be strictly
confidential and/or legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not
the intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to
the intended recipient, any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
distribution of the information is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and destroy all
copies of the original message and any attachments. If you are not the intended
recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any
action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited