ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13]

IGO protection -names and acronyms

  • To: "comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-igo-ingo-recommendations-27nov13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: IGO protection -names and acronyms
  • From: "Jakob, Arie" <AJakob@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:19:42 +0000

The International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) strongly supports the
sentiment expressed by the UN, OECD and other intergovernmental organizations.

A meaningful protection of IGO acronyms, in addition to the protection for the
full name, is of great importance for our institution. It is a vital element in
safeguarding the integrity, safety and security of international civil aviation
for the benefit of the traveling public. It is the traveling public and other
market participants in the air transport sector that for more than 65 years
have associated our organization with the acronym ICAO.

As expressed by the UN, ICAO is not opposed to a reasonable co-existence
mechanism. Said mechanism ought to be preventative rather than curative.

Arie Jakob
Legal Affairs and External Relations Bureau
ICAO