ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-irtp-c-30mar15]

Business Constituency (BC) comment on IRTP Part C recommendations

  • To: "comments-irtp-c-30mar15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-irtp-c-30mar15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Business Constituency (BC) comment on IRTP Part C recommendations
  • From: Steve DelBianco <sdelbianco@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 May 2015 04:44:07 +0000

The Business Constituency thanks the working group for their work in developing
recommendations for the Inter-Registrar Transfer Policy (IRTP) Part C.    Below
are BC responses to working group questions.
What constitutes a “material change” that would trigger the change of
registrant process?   The policy recommendations defined a “Change of
Registrant” to be a material change to  Registrant name, organization, or email
address.

The Business Constituency agrees with the definition of Change of Registrant to
include any material change to the Registrant Name or Registrant Organization.

We do not agree that a change to the Registrant email address alone is always a
"material change".  There may be many reasons for a registrant to change their
email address without changing the status of an individual or the business
organization.  We would recommend limiting the definition of Change of
Registrant to Registrant name and Registrant Organization.

The prior and new registrant must authorize the change by using a unique,
“change of registrant credential”.

Does the working group contemplate the “change of registrant credential” be
used in addition to the auth code when the domain name is transferred between
registrars and a change of registrant is implemented?

The registrar confirms that both registrants have authorized the change and
that the name is eligible for change of registrant, i.e., there is no lock or
restriction on the name.

We support the requirement of a confirmation from the gaining, or “new”
registrant.  This would prevent transfers of domain names to entities without
their knowledge or without any interest in owning the domain name.  Moreover,
it would limit fraudulent use of a registrant’s information.   But sharing the
“change of registrant credential” as described may hinder the transfer process
if implemented.

The Business Constituency agrees that process for transmitting the change of
registrant credential should be open to alternative methods — as long as they
are secure.  This may include SMS to the phone number connected to the
registrant’s account, requiring a two-factor authentication process or other
methods.  But security should be of prime importance

Conclusion:

The Business Constituency once again applauds the working group for taking an
innovative approach to the transfer process.

We are concerned that the requirement to share a “change of registrant
credential” in a transfer will not be implemented in a way that guarantees
security and addresses all reasons for transfer.   We suggest that the IRTP
part C group rethink the implementation of the “change of registrant credential”

—
These comments were initially drafted by Susan Kawaguchi and approved in accord
with the BC Charter.