ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-meetings-strategy-25feb14]

Meeting Strategy Report - Input

  • To: "comments-meetings-strategy-25feb14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-meetings-strategy-25feb14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Meeting Strategy Report - Input
  • From: Michele Neylon - Blacknight <michele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2014 13:20:53 +0000

All

First of all I would like to thank all those who worked on this report. I know
how much hard work goes in to creating something like this.

I am submitting these comments in my personal capacity, as someone has been
attending ICANN meetings for the last 7 years.

The report is an excellent first step in addressing the issues that ICANN and
its community need to deal with and hopefully the report will generate
discussion and provoke further input from stakeholders.

I am happy to see that the real duration of the meetings is recognized. For
many of us the "official" start day is usually 2 or 3 days after we've already
started our meetings.
It would also make sense to advertise the meeting length to reflect the reality
- at present the dates that are announced for each meeting ignore the weekend
activities. Other events advertise the full duration, but clearly indicate
which days are "more public" than others.

I like the idea of a "public forum" early in the meeting for SO/AC updates and
input. The current meeting structure means that a lot gets held over until the
forum on the last day and there's very little opportunity for all groups to
engage.

For meeting "B" - the lack of a public forum is a bad idea, as it's an
important opportunity for people who may not be able to voice their concerns
otherwise.

The board meetings - at present these can be a lot longer than they need to be.
If members of the community are encouraged not to read statements into the
record during the public forum, then the same logic should be applied to long
swathes of text during the board meeting.

I would be concerned about extending any of the meetings beyond their current
length. For some members of the community this would mean being absent from
their day jobs for up to 10 days, depending on the meeting location.

I look forward to seeing how this work evolves

Regards

Michele

--
Mr Michele Neylon