ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-name-collision-05aug13]

To Whom It May Concern: Comments and suggestions re: "name collision"

  • To: <comments-name-collision-05aug13@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: To Whom It May Concern: Comments and suggestions re: "name collision"
  • From: Glen Gulyas <glen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 12:35:44 -0400

Please allow me to introduce myself, my name is Glen Gulyas
(http://www.linkedin.com/pub/glen-gulyas/6/263/b8a) - and via various
sources I have been kept abreast of your proposed approach to expansion and
would like to offer some comments, some observations and - with humility -
some advice.

My career has spanned both the consumer and enterprise sides of the
technology market with a strong emphasis on security and enterprise
solutions.  While I see domain additions as beneficial long-term, I believe
that it could very well wreak havoc on entire populations of enterprise
users and small businesses - costing massive sums of time and money.  My
experience in these types of shifts or "re-directions" need careful disaster
planning and sample population testing or results can be catastrophic.

Case in point, I once worked on a deployment for the US Post office that
involved 70,000 workstations. They had a VERY sophisticated system to add
new functions to the desktop, upgrade software, etc. It was called Gold
Tape. It was a 3 stage process of review and distribution of new tools and
technology to the desktop. It worked about 40% of the time. Please don't
underestimate the potential impact of business of a bunch of local strings
suddenly resolving on the public internet. This could be huge and raise the
ire of many.  Needless to say this was a "closed" environment and
risks/damage can increase exponentially in the mainstream.

 From the security perspective, the increased opportunity for systems to be
breached in the chaos that could ensue could set back years of time spent to
develop sophisticated solutions designed to protect closed environments and
cost billions of dollars to repair - if they could be repaired at all.

I would be interested in seeing more details of your implementation plans
and your processes for working with companies and "communities of companies"
who may be affected by these expansions.

Finally for the advice:  I would strongly recommend that you commission a
sizable representative "beta" group comprised of data center/cloud
providers, enterprise services companies specializing in managing networks
and building/deploying intranet solutions and businesses who are "members of
communities" or who create communities within their ranks.

Thank you for taking the time to review my email and I hope this helps you
all deliver a better solution to the industry and every user.

warm regards,

Glen D. Gulyas

Affinity Discount Stores, Inc.

 <mailto:glen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> glen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx