ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-new-gtld-auctions-indirect-contention-14nov14]

Reply Comments

  • To: comments-new-gtld-auctions-indirect-contention-14nov14@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Reply Comments
  • From: Jon Nevett <jon@donuts.email>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 14:56:09 -0500

Donuts agrees with the reply comments offered by Famous Four Media.  The Google
comments and the BC comments authored by a Google representative go beyond the
scope of this comment period and look to change aspects of the new gTLD program
long resolved in the Applicant Guidebook (AGB).  The issue of indirect
contention sets itself is not open to reexamination nor should we be trying to
redefine relationships between applicants in direct and indirect contention.
The Guidebook is clear on that point.  Rather, we need to examine the specific
proposed auction design and rules offered by ICANN to implement the indirect
contention set tenets of the AGB.

It is in that spirit that we again mention our support for the proposal in
general, but would like to see more transparency in the bidding process.  The
information policy during the auction is overly opaque and should be corrected
to ensure that applicants know where they stand in the auction.  Similarly, the
payment rule should be quickly examined further to ensure fairness for all
applicants.  ICANN and PowerAuctions should examine the proportional payment
rule and recommend whether that is better for applicants than the externality
pricing payment rule or some modified proportional rule.  Any such review of
these two issues should be done efficiently to ensure that the resolution of
these TLDs is not delayed further.

Thanks again to ICANN and its vendor for the proposal and finalizing the
implementation of it.

Best,

Jon Nevett
Co-Founder, Donuts Inc.