ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-op-budget-2016-2020-11nov14]

Comment on 5-yr operational plan

  • To: "planning@xxxxxxxxx" <planning@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Comment on 5-yr operational plan
  • From: "Schlosser, Adam" <aschlosser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2015 21:18:19 +0000

Hello

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce would like to submit the following comment in
regards to the ICANN five-year operating plan. Please let me know if you have
any questions and we would greatly appreciate a confirmation of receipt of this
comment.

Thanks.

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce appreciates the opportunity to provide comments on
ICANN’s five-year operating plan (Plan). While we understand the desire to
increase participation in ICANN, we note that a number of areas in the Plan
seem to indicate an intention to expand the scope of ICANN’s mission. We urge
clarifications to the Plan to unambiguously affirm any ICANN activities remain
firmly bounded by its core mission “to coordinate, at the overall level, the
global Internet's systems of unique identifiers, and in particular to ensure
the stable and secure operation of the Internet's unique identifier systems.”

In several areas of the Plan (notably objective 1.3 and throughout objective 5)
there is a mention of “policy development” or serving as a “steward of the
public interest.” Both of these phrases can be interpreted exceptionally
broadly. ICANN has an important role to play in enforcing its own governing
agreements including the Registrar Accreditation Agreement. We are also
concerned about recent indications of ICANN attempting to take on new roles and
responsibilities outside of its core mission, including efforts to launch
initiatives unrelated to the management of the names and numbering system.
ICANN plays an integral role in the global multistakeholder ecosystem of
Internet governance, but there are many issues and, therefore stakeholders,
that fall well outside the scope of ICANN’s core mission. It is a mistake to
attempt to turn ICANN into or to use ICANN resources to solve the many
Internet Governance related concerns nor should ICANN attempt to insert itself
into every Internet Governance issue stemming from Internet-related activity.
The Plan should affirm that ICANN’s role in policy development is only directly
and tangibly related to policies that will strengthen its core technical
functions.

We also have several questions regarding the objectives related to government
involvement. In objectives 4.1 and 4.3, can ICANN please expand upon what is
intended by “singing of MOUs with international organizations” and explain what
type of duties are envisioned? Further, under objective 4, while we appreciate
the desire to increase government participation, particular that of developing
nations, it is important to also highlight that an increase in participation
will not result in new government powers or in any way alter the current
multistakeholder model.

Thank you for your consideration.