ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-paris-alp-application-12jun14]

.PARIS Launch Program

  • To: "comments-paris-alp-application-12jun14@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-paris-alp-application-12jun14@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: .PARIS Launch Program
  • From: Francois Seguy <francois.seguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2014 08:09:21 +0000

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,

IP TWINS is an ICANN accredited registrar based in Paris. Founded in 2002, our
company has been created in order to provide trademark owners and their
representatives, services to protect their intellectual property assets in the
digital area. The launch of a new extension dedicated to the French capital is
of course a great source of joy and pride for us as French, as Parisians and as
registrar.

However, our main concern is linked to the Dot PARIS Launch program. Indeed, it
seems that the Sunrise Period plans a priority system within the Sunrise period
like other Registries have already done (cf. Dot London Registry). But, if we
understand correctly, the specificity of this Sunrise will be to give priority
to (French) non-TMCH trademarks over TMCH trademarks. To the best of our
knowledge, such a priority has never been applied by another registry yet and
we would like to express reservations about this draft.

Even if we can easily understand that it is a logical way to advantage the
trademark owners with a stronger relationship with France and Paris, we are
afraid that this particularity will be taken as a retroactive change of an
ICANN policy, not to say as a breach of ICANN rules as the TMCH would be thus
be bypassed.

In other words, we are that much fans of .PARIS that we fear that such a
measure would taint its reputation and future success.

Since the launch of the new gTLDs and even before, IP TWINS like the other
registrars, is working hard to warn and teach Trademark owners about the
advantages and also the possible dangers of the launch of hundreds of new
extensions. The TMCH was easily perceived as a mean of protection. Therefore,
we consider that this change will be very hard to understand for the majority
of Trademark owners.

Since this proposition undermines a fundamental principle of right protection
mechanisms (required by Trademark owners), we believe that it should not be
accepted by ICANN.

To conclude, may we draw your attention to the fact that the acceptation of
such a change, in setting a precedent, may weaken the TrademarkClearingHouse in
its role of mechanism of Trademark owner protection and may also create legal
uncertainty.

Hoping that our opinion can be taken into account.

Respectfully,

Sylvain Hirsch,
President, IP Twins

IP TWINS