ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Whois privacy - common courtesy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Whois privacy - common courtesy
  • From: Jim Kevern <jim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 09:20:10 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I took out my domain 2 decades ago. Back then I thought it was cool to have my name and email address listed in the WHOIS database. Bad decision - my original email (my first name@my last name .com) address was harvested and I get tons of spam email, so now I have to pay for professional spam filtering (Spam Assassin alone didn't work). We in the US have (or used to have) respect for the rule of law. You should not be giving out my contact information without either my permission (common courtesy demands this) or a court order. Just as one would not give a stranger a friends email address or phone number without consulting the friend first.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order, regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Jim Kevern