ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

The danger of automatic tools copying Whois information for ever

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: The danger of automatic tools copying Whois information for ever
  • From: Jordi <basicatom@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 03:28:16 +0200

Dear ICANN,

I am concerned that if the whois privacy is lifted on my small business
website, the information will be copied and stored by services that
automatically copy whois information, like domaintools.com, making it available
to all public for the next 100 years, this will make it impossible for me to
find a future job if my online business goes bankrupt, or, I just happen to
work on a field like adult enterntainment. I will be forever associated with
the website.

It also opens the possibility of harassment, if 10 years down the road I become
a wealthy person or politician, all somebody has to do to find out my address
is to go to domaintools.com and copy the data that was registered with the
website 10 years ago.

Furthermore, lifting the private whois on websites will do little to stop
scammers and drug pushers as they already use fake details anyway.

To avoid abuse and this huge privacy invasion, I urge you to make it necessary
to have a court order before any whois information is revealed to anybody.

Thank you.

Marko Belletoni