ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Protect WHOIS privacy services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Protect WHOIS privacy services
  • From: Douglas Lucas <dal@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2015 20:48:02 -0500

Hello ICANN,

My name is Douglas Lucas, and my website is DouglasLucas.com. This is in
respone to your program to create new restrictions on the companies
offering WHOIS privacy services, described here:
http://gnso.icann.org/en/issues/raa/ppsai-initial-05may15-en.pdf.

I am a freelance writer and journalist. I use WHOIS privacy services to
protect myself and my family from harassment by those who might not
agree with my views.

I support the use of WHOIS privacy services by all regardless of whether
the website is “commercial.” My website might be deemed commercial in
that the expenses for it are deductible. It might be deemed commercial
in that I raise donations for my work. But regardless of how a website
does or does not participate in the sphere of commerce, privacy is
crucial for anyone publishing their thoughts online, and you ought to
protect it.

Please do not give in to whatever cops or paymasters are trying to make
you do this.

Sincerely,

Douglas Lucas