ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Privacy of WHOIS Data

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Privacy of WHOIS Data
  • From: "N. Harvey" <nharveyart@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 11:40:29 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Let me tell you a little about myself.

As is not uncommon today, I am a victim of severe bullying. For several
years I endured mental, emotional and physical abuse on a daily basis from
numerous sources. The experience left me damaged to the point where I ended
up leading a rather reclusive life, dependent on loved ones. I still fear
these people and what they might do if they found me.

The internet has given me an avenue to venture "out" into the world a bit,
but I do so with great care to protect my privacy. As an artist, I started
a small blog to share and promote my work, providing links to
print-on-demand sites where my work can be purchased, allowing me to earn a
small income. I don't hurt anyone online and I only want to draw attention
to what I do and not who I am. I don't want anyone looking at my website to
be able to ring my phone or know where I live.

Some people enjoy sharing about themselves and feel they have nothing to
hide. Some over-share to their own detriment or others' disgust. But this
is and should be a choice which anyone can opt not to exercise.

If my ability to keep my WHOIS data private is taken away, I would worry
about how this could impact me or my family. I would probably take down my
blog, sacrifice much of my already tiny income and further isolate myself.

I BEG OF YOU, DON'T DO THIS.

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation
Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you for reading and for
your consideration.