ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comment

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comment
  • From: Mike Luby <michael@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2015 15:12:04 -0700

Dear ICANN,

I strongly oppose many of the regulations you propose on the grounds of
safety, security, and privacy. Given ICANN's monopoly position, I urge you
to protect the free and open nature of the Internet without making it
easier for unsavory corporations and people to go after innocent
individuals.

The proposal to conflate domain registrars and privacy/proxy providers
introduces unnecessary, inefficient regulation to the market, and may have
unintended consequences, including reducing healthy competition.

I urge you to look at the ongoing debacle surrounding Facebook's true name
policy, as well as recent incidents of doxxing and swatting, and consider
how much worse the situation will be if these proposals are enacted.

Here's hoping you decide in favor of freedom,

Sincerely