ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ISPCP Comments on GNSO Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group Initial Report

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ISPCP Comments on GNSO Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working Group Initial Report
  • From: Christian Dawson <dawson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 19:01:54 -0400

ISPCP Comments on GNSO Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Working
Group Initial Report

The Internet Services Provider and Connectivity Provider Constituency (ISPCP)
respectfully submits the following comments on the “GNSO Privacy & Proxy
Services Accreditation Issues Working Group Initial Report”.

The Internet Service Providers and Connectivity Providers operate Internet
backbone networks and/or provide access to Internet and related services to End
Users.  We are key players on the Internet, and have an essential role in its
stability and development.  The Internet Service Providers and Connectivity
Providers Constituency seeks to selectively respond to the GNSO Privacy & Proxy
Services Accreditation Issues PDP Working Group Community Questions.

We focus comments only on areas of concerns for Internet Service Providers and
Connectivity Providers, which in this case means issues affecting Internet
intermediaries. As Internet intermediaries ourselves, we have a keen interest
in avoiding bad precedent for issues that could potentially become a ‘slippery
slope’ to be imposed upon our networks in the future. We therefore file the
following official responses on behalf of our constituency:

There are four core issues that the ISPCP wishes to focus its comments on, all
regarding Internet intermediary precedent:

1. Regarding Relaying (Forwarding) of Third Party Requests:

        The cost of relaying a third party request, if digital, can easily be
considered a cost of doing business for a Privacy & Proxy provider, but should
an email address fail despite best efforts from a provider to keep contact
information valid, more discussion needs to be had around who should bear the
cost of those communications, and ultimately this needs to be well defined and
not open-ended.

2. Regarding LEA definitions & differentiations:

While we respect the desire to utilize the official ICANN definition of Law
Enforcement Agent (LEA), we acknowledge that intellectual property rights
holders and private anti abuse organizations should be treated as complainants
and not indisputably wronged parties, and accordingly an independent
adjudicator should determine the merits of their claim before rights that users
would otherwise have are abrogated by reason of those lawyers' claims.

3. Regarding restrictions to P/P for websites involved in commercial
transactions:

        An Internet intermediary should not be contractually required by ICANN
to categorize the use of an Internet service. It is not practical or
operationally feasible to restrict P/P to websites involved in commercial
transactions.

4. On disclosure of data request to customer:

        Different global jurisdictions have differing laws regarding when a law
enforcement request is supposed to remain confidential. A P/P provider must be
able to operate within the allowances of its local jurisdiction regarding
disclosure to customers.

The ISPCP constituency will continue to comment in the subsequent dialogue
phases.

On behalf of the ISPCP constituency:

Christian Dawson