ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Comments on Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Policy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Comments on Privacy & Proxy Services Accreditation Issues Policy
  • From: Maestro <maestro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2015 22:14:08 -0400 (EDT)

Dear ICANN

I'm the owner of a small blog hosting site, and I take advantage of WHOIS privacy services to protect my privacy. Despite this, I receive numerous spam through the forwarding address used by WHOIS privacy service, even though they do spam filtering. In addition to that, I am inundated with spam through every publicly posted E-mail address, even addresses that ceased to be listed publicly over five years ago.

I've had domains in the past, back before WHOIS privacy even existed. The spam I received on the E-mail address used in the WHOIS info then was much worse, comparable to what I receive now through publicly listed E-mail addresses. I also would receive postal junk mail, addressed to me as the domain owner.

I do not use WHOIS privacy because I'm running a nefarious site. On the contrary, I have always included rules forbidding copyright infringement or other illegal activities on the blogs I host. And I have never received a single DMCA over a site I host in the ten years I have run my site. But I do not want my information out there publicly. The spammers are just the start of the problem. There's also crazy people who like to SWAT people, by faking caller ID and calling the police to instigate a SWAT team being sent out. Just this year this tactic was further escalated by the person additionally calling the store they targeted, and trying to get the employees to do things that would escalate the police response. They failed luckily, but someone is going to die someday from these incidents.

So those are the things you be subjecting me and all site owners to if you pass this policy. And all this is so copyright holders can find the name of the domain owner just slightly easier than they can now. Right now they have to get a court order, and this is far from onerous. In fact it's practically a rubber stamp. But it requires some effort, and protects those of us who are innocents from the evils of the Internet.

So I implore you, do not pass this policy. Leave things as they are now, and require a court order to get a domain owner's information. Protect our privacy.

Thank you.