ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

Commercial use of P/P services

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: Commercial use of P/P services
  • From: Alan Greenberg <alan.greenberg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jul 2015 22:07:28 -0400

This statement is being submitted on my own behalf.

I strongly believe that consumers must have some level of protection during e-commerce transactions, and specifically when making purchases.

Although there are many valid reasons why an entity (individual or company) would want to use a P/P service, this should not be allowed if the entity will be selling to consumers. A consumer should have the right to know who they are buying something from.

Please note that I am not asking that a registrar VERIFY what someone is doing with their domain name, just that the registrant declare that the domain name will not be used for commercial transactions as described above, and that violation of this is grounds for loss of the registration, which registrars WOULD have to honor if a complaint is made.

Alan Greenberg