ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Tom Stanley Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Tom Stanley Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Thomas Stanley <tomstanley@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 14:05:26 -0400

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

I fully support releasing information if a court order requires it but there
are numerous reasons I do not support the release in other cases.  I run a
business.  My competitors try to copy many of the things I do.  If you release
WHOIS data, it gives my competitors an avenue to research my business that does
not currently exist and that is not their business.  Releasing this data also
provides yet one more avenue for my identity to be copied and stolen.

DO NOT DO THIS!  Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Tom Stanley