ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Sarah Swanstrom Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - Sarah Swanstrom Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: "Sarah Swanstrom" <Sarah.Swanstrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2015 09:17:18 +0800

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

To expose people's personal information--especially for small business-- is
opening up individuals personal information to anyone who can go online, which
includes people from ANY country with ANY motives.  This is extremely unwise.
Small businesses, especially,  need to be able to have websites and domain
names without opening themselves to potential attack and threats that can come
from their domain name registration being public information.   This exposes
individuals who have registered their domain name to many risks.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.
Sarah Swanstrom