ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Valtteri Raila Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Valtteri Raila Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: valtteri raila <valtteri.raila@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:18:07 +0300

ICANN

The proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues Policy document) can have bad consequences:

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
Considering the amount of harassment people get on the internet and how its an way to harass people by doxing their home address and ordering pizzas, police and fire department and/or sending rape threats to women there because someone on the internet didn't agree with the owner of the website. When you consider this, would you really want your own address be on the internet where anyone anywhere can do a lot of damage with just your personal details.

Court orders are still very effective at revealing the owner of the site when its actually needed.

Private information is usually kept private for a reason. Thank you