ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Keith Britnell Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Keith Britnell Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Keith Britnell <keith.britnell@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 13:37:41 -0500

Dear *ICANN* –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide *WHOIS*
privacy services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services
Accreditation Issues Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

*I consider my right to privacy to be a fundamental right, whether online
or offline.  Therefore, I urge you in the strongest terms not to strip away
the rights of individuals and businesses to control what identifying
information is made publicly available on the Internet.  To fight crime,
the proper authorities already can use court orders to obtain personal or
business information.  Any actions or policies which make such information
more broadly/readily available is beyond reasonableness and is an assault
on individual rights.*

Private information should be kept private. Thank you for considering my
thoughts.

Keith Britnell