ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - John Wallace Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - John Wallace Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: John Wallace <localcenters@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 18:52:08 -0700

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

It's now mandatory that any commercial solicitations provide a contact address,
and that is good protection for the consumer.

It's invasive, however, to have those contacts published in the WHOIS
directory, if one elects and pays for confidentiality. It invites spammers (ask
me how I know--I started out with published contacts), and in some cases, the
author may, for personal privacy and the right to quiet enjoyment, chose to use
a pen name. That person's identity should not be subject to public knowledge,
especially if they are a working professional.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

John Wallace