ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Gregory Oxnard Says Respect Our Privacy

  • To: "comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx" <comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Subject: ICANN - Gregory Oxnard Says Respect Our Privacy
  • From: Greg Oxnard <greg.oxnard@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2015 22:34:40 -0500

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I am a British citizen living in Mexico, where kidnapping and extortion is a
daily event. From time to time drug cartels pose as individuals in order to be
befriended on Facebook. They then contact the business owner and threaten them
with kidnapping, even murder. This is not an urban myth. This happened to a
friend of mine who runs a pet accessories business and uses Facebook to direct
clients to her site. Allowing my personal address to be retrieved in the way
you are proposing puts me at greater risk because anyone can retrieve my
address. It isn't only the large companies which are targeted.

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Greg Oxnard