ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

ICANN - Swen Wennblom - NO CHANGE to WHOIS privacy services

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: ICANN - Swen Wennblom - NO CHANGE to WHOIS privacy services
  • From: "newslip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <newslip@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:25:24 -0500

Dear ICANN,

I appreciate the seriousness of your responsibilities, and I strongly recommend NO CHANGE to WHOIS privacy services. I do not want my registration information made public.

My reasons for opposing a change:
1. Organizations who intend harm would welcome any new opportunity to misuse my contact information. 2. The information is already available to anybody with a legal right to it.
3. Unintended consequences:
a) Recognizing the potential for harm, I would immediately obscure my personal information with false data. This action will become the predominant, recommended action. ICANN simply has no way to prevent it. b) Alternatively, I could operate a new business designed to consolidate ownership of multiple domain names under my umbrella. This business would profit solely by acting as a legal intermediary. This would again obscure user information, and again ICANN has no way to prevent it.

Thank you,
Swen