ICANN ICANN Email List Archives

[comments-ppsai-initial-05may15]

No release of personal information without a court order

  • To: comments-ppsai-initial-05may15@xxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: No release of personal information without a court order
  • From: Virtus Repulsae nescia <virtusrepulsaenescia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 22:07:25 -0700

Dear ICANN –

Regarding the proposed rules governing companies that provide WHOIS privacy
services (as set forth in the Privacy and Policy Services Accreditation Issues
Policy document):

I urge you to respect internet users' rights to privacy and due process.
- Everyone deserves the right to privacy.
- No one’s personal information should be revealed without a court order,
regardless of whether the request comes from a private individual or law
enforcement agency.

I am aware that there are those who are using the internet for pernicious
purposes. Anonymity online cuts both ways. To be perfectly clear, I do not
stand on the side of those who misuse the internet for anti-social and illegal
purposes. Even those who violate laws and acceptable standards of social
conduct need to receive due process. To abrogate due process is to open
Pandora's box for rampant violations of privacy that can lead to extreme
actions, including threats and life endangerment inspired by malice and revenge.

Private information should be kept private. Thank you.

Regards,

Wendy Talaro